Written by Field Marshal William Riddell Birdwood Commander in chief British Indian Army to Lt Col H.L. Haughton This letter is written by Field Marshal William Riddell Birdwood Commander in chief British Indian Army to Lt Col H.L. Haughton, commandant of the Prince of Wales Royal Indian Military College Dehradun. Royal Indian Military College was inaugurated by Prince Edward, The Prince of Wales, on 13 March 1922, The first commandant of the college was Lt Col H.L. Haughton of the Sikh Regiment who took charge of the College on 22 February 1922. The college is located on the premises of the Imperial Cadet Corps (also called Rajwada Camp), set amidst 55 hectares (140 acres) of lush-green countryside adjacent to the Garhi Village in Dehradun Cantonment. The purpose of the school was to provide boys with education and training for the Indians being sent to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, England as part of the Empire's policy to make the officer cadre of the Indian Army more indigenous. RIMC was intended as a feeder institution to Royal Military Academy Sandhurst along the lines of an English Public School. RIMC is still one of the most coveted military institutions in India and it continues with the tradition of grooming some of the best present day military commanders who acquire their formal military training at the Indian Military Academy Dehradun, which was established in Dec 1932.